Nextwave: Youth Film Competition
Submissions have closed for the 2018 MSPIFF. Stay tuned for an announcement regarding the 2019 Festival
Nextwave is the Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul’s exciting youth engagement and education initiative within the annual Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival (MSPIFF).
Nextwave provides the premier regional film exhibition destination for youth pursuing an interest or career in filmmaking. It is a celebration of the up-and-coming generation of cinematic story-tellers, an opportunity for their stories to been seen and explored by an audience of 50,000 Festival-goers and local and visiting film industry professionals, and a place where young filmmakers can connect with one-another and with mentors and advisors in the field.
The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul is Minnesota’s leading exhibitor of international independent cinema. Our mission is to foster a knowledgeable and vibrant appreciation of the art of film and its power to inform and transform individuals and communities.
How to Submit
If you are unable to submit through one of these sites please contact email@example.com to discuss alternative possibilities.
- Instructions for using these sites can be found at the following links
Eligibility and Guidelines
- Films must be shot, directed, and produced by youth age 18 and under. Adult participation must be limited to an advisory or acting role.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2017.
- Films must be 10 minutes or less.
- Films can be fiction, documentary, animation, experimental or VR.
- Films can be shot on any type of video camera.
- Films can be produced in any language but need to have English subtitles for the festival presentation.
- Films submitted to Nextwave must be original and not copied from others. Use of original music is encouraged and films with unlicensed music may be disqualified from participation.
- All minors that appear in your film must have the consent of their parent or guardian to participate and appear.
- All applicants are encouraged to save the original film files in case of inclusion in the program. This will help ensure our ability to show a high-quality version of the film on the screen.
- Further technical requirements and guidelines will be provided should your film be invited to play during the festival.
Invited films will screen at the 2018 Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival and participate in the Youth Filmmaking Competition. Select films will be given awards by our Youth Jury Ages 15-18. Previous awards have included Best Youth Filmmaker Award and Youth Jury Choice Award.
All entries must be submitted by December 15, 2018. Filmmakers will be notified of an official decision by February 23, 2018. Notifications will be sent by email to the primary contact listed on the submission form.
MSPIFF Contact Information:
Phone: (612) 331-7563