2020 Year in Review
WHAT THE MSP FILM SOCIETY HAS ACHIEVED IN THIS YEAR OF ALL YEARS
Here are some 2020 Highlights presented after our theater doors closed on March 13, 2020:
- Our staff, in a quick pivot and remarkable creative burst, set to work to build a virtual film viewing platform and reimagine our film exhibition, to continue to make our unique brand of films available to our patrons. Why did we not just go dark until further notice? Because we know the power of great cinema to unite, inform and transform, and if ever there was a need for such power, it was then and is now.
- In early May 2020, we presented MSPIFF39 REDEFINED – A VIRTUAL FILM FESTIVAL, a virtual version of the 39th MSP International Film Festival, our always eagerly anticipated annual April centerpiece. The Fest included 100 brand new, critically acclaimed feature and short films representing 40+ countries, and nearly as many virtual filmmaker conversations with artists from around the globe. ‘Attendance’ topped 30,000!
- In June, in response to the killing of George Floyd and its aftermath, we launched a new film series which we call WE THE PEOPLE: REQUIRED WATCHING. As part of the series, we have shown 15+ remarkable films addressing racial and social inequalities at many levels. And each film has been followed by a conversation - with filmmakers and community activists and leaders - to bring light to the topic addressed by the film. These films and conversation are all free. ‘Attendance’ has topped 30,000. See mspfilm.org.
- In October, we presented the 8th annual Cine Latino, as CINE LATINO EN CASA. It was a great success, bringing a slate of 25 new, award-winning Spanish (and some Portuguese) language films to our audiences from across the Latin American continent, Spain and Portugal. ‘Attendance’ topped 20,000.
- In January, we are collaborating with the Great Northern, offering four films exploring climate change from the perspective of each of the four elements, as well as two conversations with filmmakers, as part of their weeklong event. More at mspfilm.org.
- Every day, we offer wonderful international, independent films from around the world that you will not find on Netflix or Amazon, on our virtual platform: mspfilm.org.
- And, behind the scenes we are planning for the 40th Anniversary of the MSP INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL. Yes, the 40th! Mark your calendars for May 13—23 2021. The Fest will include at least 100 brand new feature films from around the globe, as many short films, and scores of filmmaker conversations. These will primarily be available on our virtual platform, but we are also exploring some exciting outdoor venues for a number of film screenings and events. Stayed tuned at mspfilm.org.
None of this would be happening without the ongoing outpouring of support we’ve received from our constituents, patrons, audiences and friends over these past months. Thank you!