40th Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival - May 13-23, 2021MSPIFF40 FAQ
The 40th Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival returns May 13-23, 2021 as a hybrid event with virtual screenings and plans in the works for outdoor screenings too!
What are the dates for the 2021 Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival?
The 40th Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival will be held virtually from May 13 to May 23, 2021.
Why did you move to May dates?
This affords MSPIFF the opportunity to explore presenting outdoor, drive-in film events and other experiences with the warmer weather in May.
Are you accepting submissions for the 2021 Festival?
Submissions are now closed.
How do I reserve tickets with my All Access Streaming Pass?
- Visit mspfilm.org. Click the Sign In Button in the upper right hand corner of mspfilm.org. Click on the "Are you a member/passholder?" Button and enter your PASS NUMBER when prompted.
- Enter your password or the required info and click Login. NEW USERS: If you have not used our online system before you will need to enter the required info when you first log on to create an account. Once logged in, you will be taken to your account overview.
- To reserve tickets to a film/event, search that film on mspfilm.org and click BUY TICKETS button on the film’s or event's page. A window will pop up and say “It looks like you have a benefit for this purchase. Would you like to use it now?” Select, YES! These are your pass benefits at work.
- You’ll know when you’ve successfully reserved a ticket when you’re taken to the film’s streaming page where you will be asked to WATCH ON THIS DEVICE or to WATCH ON ANOTHER DEVICE. Here you can do one of two things, 1. Go back to the film lineup and repeat the process with another film and continue reserving or 2. Select between WATCH ON THIS DEVICE or WATCH ON ANOTHER DEVICE. Be aware that once you select one of these two options, that is when your timer begins to watch the film. If you’re watching on another device, be sure to take note of the 9-digit voucher number to input into one of our MSP Film channels that can be found on Roku or AppleTV. You can also use the voucher code with the AgileLink App on Amazon Firestick!
- You can also check out all of the films you reserved for by clicking on MY CALENDAR. A link you’ll find at the top right corner of the webpage.
- If you don't have a Roku, AppleTV or Amazon Firestick you can easily cast the film onto your smart TV or hook up your mobile device to your TV via HDMI cord.
What happens to my 2020 deferred pass and ticket pack?
For our customers who chose to defer their MSPIFF 2020 purchases (both passes and 6-packs) were given an All Access Pass to MSPIFF39 Redefined: A Virtual Film Festival and will be given an All Access Pass to MSPIFF40. We will reach out to those customers by early 2021 with their pass information and how to activate them.
Until then, we ask that you consider donating the value of your pass or 6-pack or even gift a pass to make up for loss of income due to the pandemic. Every bit counts, especially during times like these.
When will passes and ticket packs go on sale for MSPIFF40?
Passes are on sale now! Go to our Ticketing & Passes page for more information.
Do MSP Film Society Members get discounts to screenings?
Yes, Members will have access to discounts on everything! Be sure your Membership is active!
How will films be screened?
All films will be screened virtually via MSP Film Society’s Virtual platform by AgileLINK / CineSend. We are exploring our options for a small number of outdoor screenings. Stay tuned for more information!
How do I watch MSPIFF40 films?
Use this nifty HOW TO WATCH Survey that will give you step by step instructions on how to watch based off of your situation. Click here to start!
Can I view virtual films from anywhere?
With few exceptions, our virtual programs can be accessed from the state of Minnesota, and many will be available nationwide. Certain film titles may be subject to geo-blocking restrictions at distributor’s discretion; those films will have geographical restrictions noted on their film page.
When will the lineup be announced?
The full lineup will be announced in late April 22, 2021. Sign up for our E-Blast to stay on top of all the information and get updates on our current programming and member free screenings!
Where do I find my Audience Choice ballot?
A link to the ballot is included in the confirmation email you received when you purchased your ticket.
Will there be Q&As?
There will be virtual Q&As with filmmakers for select screenings. Check the film program when it is announced for details on Q&As for specific films.
Will you be open for any in-person screenings for the 2021 festival?
Will films have subtitles?
All non-english films will have subtitles and many english speaking films will have subtitles. You can activate them by using the icon on the lower right hand side of the screen. If you don’t see that icon, you can try turning the subtitles on from your TV menu.
When will the MSP Film Society return to theaters?
Like many other independent cinemas in town, we are not currently able to return to theaters within the health and safety guidelines from the State.
I would like to help support making MSPIFF the best it can be. What can I do?
One of the best ways you can support MSPIFF right now is by making a donation. Donate now!
How can I become a Virtual Festival sponsor?
To learn more about sponsorship opportunities with MSPIFF, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our Festival and Business Manager Matthew Berg at email@example.com.