Founded in 1962, The Film Society of Minneapolis St. Paul is Minnesota’s foremost film exhibition organization, and a 501(c)(3) non-profit. We bring the best of international and independent film to Minnesota audiences through the Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival, numerous niche film festivals and series, and nightly programming 365-days a year.
We promote the art of film as a medium that fosters cross-cultural understanding, education, entertainment, and exploration. We offer audiences unique opportunities to experience the wealth of international cinema, to engage with and learn from visiting international filmmakers, and to come together and share these experiences as a community.
Our programming serves a growing membership base and diversifying audiences of 75,000+ annually.
The Film Society is best known for the annual Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival. Presented every April, the MSPIFF is the largest spring arts event in the region, exhibiting more than 200 films from some 70 countries each year and drawing audiences of 40,000+.
All foreign language films are presented with English subtitles.
To foster a knowledgeable and vibrant appreciation of the art of film through a commitment to exhibiting the very best of contemporary and historical independent, local, national and international cinema to Minnesota audiences. In doing so, we inform our audiences about the cultures, histories, cutting-edge news and filmmaking artistry from countries around the world.
Board & Staff
Board of directors
- Mary Reyelts, Community Leader — Board Chair
- Melodie Bahan, Vice President Communications, Artspace Projects, Inc.
- Maria Antonia Calvo, Professor, Spanish/Portuguese, University of Minnesota
- Anne Carayon, Professor, Macalester College
- Richard Cohen, Minnesota State Senator
- Tom DeBiaso, Dean of Graduate Studies, MCAD
- Jacob Frey, 3rd Ward Minneapolis City Council Member
- Karen Heithoff, Community Leader
- Max Musicant, Principal, The Musicant Group
- Rob Silberman, Professor of Art History, University of Minnesota
- Susan Smoluchowski, Executive Director, Film Society of Mpls. St. Paul
- Karen Sternal, Community Leader
- Mark Tierney, Executive Chairman, mPay Gateway
- Frances Wilkinson, Owner/President, Mount Curve Company
Film Society and Film Festival Staff
- Susan Smoluchowski, Executive Director
- Jesse Bishop, Programming Director
- Eric Wilson, Strategic Partnerships Director / Festival Coordinator
- Andrew Lussenhop, Multimedia Coordinator
2015 MSPIFF Multimedia Team: DeAndre Avaloz, Annika Greenberg, Marie Ketring, Jacob Kramer, David Snow, Rueben Sandoval, Dan West
- Amanda Bialon, Development Assistant
- Mary Kate Burnes, Multimedia & Outreach Assistant
- Tony Brown, Webmaster, Graphic Designer
- Matthew Berg, Festival Operations Manager
- Matthew Levine, Tech Director
- Alex Wolf, Print Traffic/Submissions Coordinator
- Alex Guillemette, Events Coordinator
- Patti Whitehouse, Guest Relations Manager
- Libby Murphy, Guest Relations Coordinator
- Alissa Simon, Festival Programmer
- Kathie Smith, Festival Programmer
- Craig Rice, Festival and Minnesota-Made Programmer
- Deb Girdwood, Festival Programmer – Childish Films
- Isabelle Harder, Festival Programmer – Childish Films